How can I transfer my existing licence to a new computer?
- Make a note of the Licence Key (serial number) of your existing installation on your old computer This is given by the program ‘Licence details’ which you can find by going to the Windows Start menu, All Programs | Actuarial Solutions | Actuarial Toolkit.
- On your new computer, download the set-up program from the download page on this website. Download the version for ‘new installation‘.
- Run the set-up program on your new computer.
- At the end of the installation, click ‘Yes’ when asked if you wish to register.
- Choose the option ‘Activate paid subscription licence’. A box will appear for you to enter the Licence Key which you noted above.
- Click ‘OK’ and you should get a ‘Registration completed’ message.
- If you have made your own changes to the gilt yields table file of your old installation, copy this to the equivalent folder on your new computer.
How do I re-install Act-fx?
- This should not normally be necessary unless Act-fx has been manually un-installed or the installation has become corrupted.
- To re-install, follow the same procedure as for transfer to a new computer described above.
- If your Licence Key (serial number) is not accessible from the ‘Licence details’ program, you can find it on your last subscription invoice or by contacting Actuarial Solutions Ltd.
Why is Act-fx not loading when I start Excel?
- The most likely reason is that it is ‘inactive’ in the Excel Add-in Manager.
- Go to the Add-in Manager, tick the box for ‘Actuarial Toolkit’ and click ‘OK’.
Act-fx should load immediately.
How can I stop Act-fx loading automatically when Excel starts?
Go to the Excel Add-in Manager and un-tick the box for ‘Actuarial Toolkit’.
Where can I find the Excel Add-in Manager?
This depends on your version of Excel. Guidance is given in the ‘Readme’ file via the short-cut on your desktop or the Windows Start menu under ‘Actuarial Toolkit’.
Does my computer have to be connected to the internet to use Act-fx?
- No. Your computer does not have to be connected to the internet to use Act-fx. However, for a standard installation, Act-fx will need access to the internet at approximately weekly intervals in order to check its licence status.
- It is recommended that the computer on which you run Act-fx normally be connected to the internet However, if Act-fx is loaded on a laptop, the laptop can be be disconnected, for example to take to a meeting, as long as a recent licence status check has run (see below).
- If you regularly need to use Act-fx on a computer without access to the internet for extended periods, then please contact Actuarial Solutions to arrange a manual installation. This enables Act-fx to work without any internet access but at the expense of some lack of flexibility when renewing a licence or moving it to another computer.
My copy of Act-fx is on my laptop computer. Will it run if I disconnect from the internet to take my computer to a meeting?
- Your copy of Act-fx will continue to run, even if disconnected from the internet, for a week after it has carried out its last on-line licence check.
- Before disconnecting your laptop to take to a meeting, it is recommended that you force an up-to-date on-line licence check by running the Licence Details program from the Windows Start menu under ‘All Programs | Actuarial Solutions | Actuarial Solutions’ and clicking on the ‘Refresh’ button. Then check that Act-fx loads after you disconnect your computer from the internet. (Do not click the ‘Refresh’ button after you have disconnected from the internet).
Why does Act-fx need to check its licence status over the internet?
- Act-fx needs to know that it is running on a computer with a valid licence. The on-line check tests the licence key against the hardware ‘signature’ of the computer on which it is running.
- The advantage for the user is that a licence can be moved to another computer or updated at renewal time without activation codes needing to be entered.
Will Act-fx work with all editions of Excel?
Act-fx will work with all editions of Excel from 97 on, including Excel 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016. However, Act-fx is only compatible with the 32-bit versions of Excel 2010 and later. These editions of Excel are also available in 64-bit versions. Act-fx is not compatible with these 64-bit versions. If you are considering upgrading your Excel edition and wish to use Act-fx, please ask your software supplier to install the 32-bit version of Excel. If you have a 64-bit version of Excel already installed, it is possible to uninstall this and install the 32-bit version from the original Microsoft media.
Please note the above refers to the bit version of Excel not the bit version of Windows.
Excel 32-bit versions will run under both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.